European Health Insurance Card.

Basic health cover is provided under reciprocal arrangements between member states of the European Union. For UK passport holders as from January 2006 you will require a European Health Insurance Card. All previous E111’s are void. You will now need to obtain an application form for your EHIC from your local Post Office, one per individual, complete and return to the appropriate address indicated on the form. Your EHIC will then be subsequently sent to you by post as unlike E111’s they are not issued over the counter at the Post Office. Please note that EHIC cards have a limited life, so if you have had one for sometime ensure that it will cover you for your holiday. Also note that you should carry it with you at all times, as you may be required to produce this to ensure that you are not charged for treatment.

Travel Insurance.

Limited travel insurance is also provided by Credit Card issuers but the standard may vary from company to company and type of card. It may also require that you pay for elements of your holiday by use of the card. Such schemes rarely provide the level of cover provided by specialised travel insurance companies.  We recommend that you purchase proper travel insurance. We have linked up with reputable specialist travel insurers, Citybond Suretravel, with whom we have had a long association. By clicking below you will see just how easy it is to get a quotation and purchase cover on line.


The link will open in a new independent window. When you have purchased your travel insurance just close the window and you will return here. 

Visas & Passports.

A passport (or valid identity document for nationals of Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Sweden) is necessary to enter Italy. Nationals of the UK, Australia, Canada, USA and Japan require only a valid passport but do not require a visa. All other nationals should consult the relevant embassies about visa requirements. Tourists are permitted to stay in the country for three months, for longer periods inquiries must be made at the Italian consulates abroad. Foreign visitors should register with the police upon arrival in Italy and the onus rests with the individual to ensure that his/her passport has been registered. Please note that we will issue you with a suitable letter for presentation at your local Italian embassy if you need a visa.

Contact Hiddentuscany
Submit Question